Our Professional golfer has some nice ideas for you as the weather, let’s say, becomes more varied!
- Loosen up the best you can – remember you have more clothing on so it will take a bit extra to stretch those stiff muscles on a chilly morning.
- Correct clothing- manufacturers are making brilliant thermal heat clothing these days. A good base layer is essential.
- Put your shoes on in a warm place, do not let your feet get cold!
- Always keep a spare golf ball in your pocket, alternate each shot as you will be able to pick, wipe and place. A warm golf ball travels 20% further.
- Try to walk and avoid buggies. Not only is it good exercise but it will keep the body warm rather than facing a howling gale on a howling gale on a buggy.
- Always take a club more than you think. Cooler conditions, soft ground, heavy air, all these are elements which add to distance loss. Try to hit to the back of the green. Ninety per cent of chip shots is because your drive was too short.
- Wear a pair of golf mittens to keep your hands warm! Cold hands will result in loss of feel, so when pushing your trolley make sure you have your mittens on, same with a woollen hat to keep your ears warm!
- Try to work on hitting the ball a bit higher, it’s all ‘carry’ in the winter, a low ball will not reach its destination.
- Greens are slower in the winter, imagine a set of goalposts three feet past the hole, try to score!
- Purchase a pre-paid card at your local golf practice range. If you’ve spent the money you might as well make the most of it.
Or alternatively, chase the sun by booking on one of our Winter Sun golf holidays!